Wednesday, October 20, 2010

GLAAD's Spirit Day

I interrupt the regularly scheduled blog post to raise awareness about bullying. I know many of my blog posts are silly and/or funny, but this one is completely serious. Bullying is wrong. Many  teens (and adults!) are bullied to the point where they take their own life. No one deserves to be bullied. So today, I'm asking everyone to learn more about the harm bullying does.

Bullying is the cause of hundreds of suicides around the globe every year. Over 70% of students are bullied at some point during their years at school. It is also the most common cause of school shootings. Other effects of bullying include loss of self-esteem, depression, loneliness, and anxiety. Bullying is not limited to playgrounds: it exists in workplaces, homes, fraternities/sororities, schools, the internet, and the military just to name a few.

Spirit Day, hosted by GLAAD, is a way to remember the youth who took their own lives due to the anti-LGBT bullying they endured. It is a way to show your support for the people around you.

Thanks for reading, and please, PLEASE let others know too.

3 comments:

  1. We just discussed this in my Multi-Cultural class yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullying really is a horrible thing...and something almost everyone has dealt with at some point or another in their life.

    Wish I realized it was spirit day before I got dressed this morning and I could be sporting some purple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post, Chrissy. I too believe that bullying is a serious problem. It is my opinion that bullying is worse now than it every has been in times past. In this day and age it is so easy to disassociate oneself with personal accountability due to things like the Internet and text messaging and depiction of violence on television that are portrayed without consequences. These things and many more have removed a certain sense of reality from life. Now kids say and do things to each other that would have been unthinkable only 50 years ago.

    ReplyDelete